4.13.2010

Quinoa Muffins & Winner (Bondi Band)

For a while, Nick has been eating "Super Porridge" from Super Baby Food for breakfast. It started with broccoli or brussel sprouts + squash or a fruit with almond butter and Nick usually finished it. It started becoming harder and harder to get it down, and we switched to no green, just squash or pumpkin and most days it worked. Well, eventually that became a challenge too, so I wanted to make some kind of finger food to get the good stuff down. I made some Quinoa Pumpkin Blueberry Muffins. They were kind of bland but did the trick!



I started with this recipe and changed it up a little bit...

PUMPKIN QUINOA BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
1 T. ground flax seeds
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
2 tsp. baking powder (forgot this)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
                                    1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
                                    1/2 cup blueberries

I mixed the wet ingredients together, then added in the dry ingredients, baked at 350 in 12 muffin tins for about 25-30 minutes.

Next I want to make some zucchini muffins. I'm trying to think of some foods to take on an upcoming trip that will be easy to travel with, so I have these with pumpkin and blueberries, I plan to make apple-banana pancakes and try some zucchini muffins. Then Nick will be getting in at least some fruits/veggies :)


BONDI BAND WINNER  ... drum roll

#17 - Jenna Z. Congrats! Send me an email w/ your address Jenna to tosha25italia at yahoo.  Thanks everyone for participating!

7 comments:

  1. Interesting use for quinoa! I hope Nick likes them. And congrats to the winner! (lucky!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm, def going to try to make these!! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that does look tasty, you have gotten very creative

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I lik the idea of the muffin. Moana will still eat her porridge sometimes but we don't do it every day anymore. Maybe 3x/week? So these muffins look like a good alternative.
    I've been making almond oatmeal and it's fantastic! Try this: 1 cup scottish oats, 1/2 cup quinoa- cook with 2 ups water and 1 cup almond milk... then grind up some almonds and add them toward the end of cooking. I add a spoonful of peanut butter and extra almond milk to get to the right consistency. It's SO good. No sugar needed but the almond milk makes it taste very sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever of you! I have to appluad your dedication to the healthy kid food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound yummy! Im going to have to give them a try :)

    ReplyDelete