4.06.2011

FOOD

Yep, that's all I've been thinking about, so I decided to call it quits today on the calorie counting crap. Maybe for the day just to take a break, and maybe not. We'll see. 

the bike
I had a bad attitude going to spin class and really didn't feel like doing it. I'm in need of a positive bike experience my friends!  I did the transition from bike to run for the 2nd time. I'm sure it's not the same as being on an actual bike but it is good practice for now. I biked 11 miles then ran 3.5 and did abwork. It was a good workout.

training
I was thinking this morning: If I had the time, I think I could definitely train for 2 hours a day. I used to want to do an Ironman. I could do the training for it, but knowing the bike is involved, I have zero desire to do so.  I have been so motivated!  I remember when I was unmotivated and I'd read the inspiring Angela or Michelle's training posts and get excited and motivated. Now I feel like I'm there. If you want to get motivated, seriously, read these blogs. Both moms - Angela works full time and was training for Kona last year and qualified for that in the earlier part of the year - check out those posts, she's on hiatus right now working on #2 and Michelle is a coach and athlete that gets to swim and train in Hawaii. Just the pictures might get you excited to pretend you are there. :)

I forgot what happened to me on Monday morning. I was wearing my No-Meat Athlete shirt  and this random older man says to me "Don't you miss hoagies?" Only in Philadelphia.  We had a nice little conversation where he told me he'd miss hoagies and hamburgers and couldn't go meatless. It was a pretty humorous conversation when I think back to it.


Have you seen a picture of a food that you have to have? That happened to me today and I made these double chocolate cookies. 

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 c agave nectar
1/4 c maple syrup
3 T. ground flax seed mixed with 3 T. warm water
1 t. vanilla
1/4 cup hemp protein powder (chocolate flavor) or an extra 1/4 c cocoa powder
1/4 cup Amazing Grass Chocolate Superfood - optional or can add more cocoa
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground oats/ oat flour
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Melt the coconut oil, agave and maple syrup. Add in the flax + warm water. Let sit 10 minutes. Add in the rest and mix to combine. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set at 350. Or just eat them raw.
Delicious!

For dinner, I tried Kate's Vegan Eggplant recipe and thought it was really tasty!It doesn't look half as good as hers but I'm not good at presentation.  I had to change some things around based on what I had on hand, and it turned out good. I didn't have tomato sauce and I love tomato sauce so I'll have to try it again with tomatoes.


Vegan Eggplant Parmesan
adapted from Fat Free Vegan
Ingredients:
3 baby eggplants, sliced
1 sweet potato, baked, pureed
3 cloves garlic
1/3 block extra firm tofu
1/4 c cashews
2 T tahini
½ c unsweetened almond milk
½ c vegetable broth
2 T nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp dried parsley
2 slices Ezekial bread, toasted and food processed to make breadcrumbs
1/4 c fresh basil
black pepper

1. Slice the baby eggplants into thin slices, lay out on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and let sit 10 minutes. This takes out the bitterness- blot it with papertowels after 10 minutes, sprinkle with olive oil and pepper and roast at 400 for 10-20 min till soft depending on the thickness and size of the eggplant.

2. Saute garlic and olive oil. Bake the sweet potato (I used the microwave) then food process it, adding water as needed to make it the consistency of tomato sauce.  Add to the garlic and olive oil.

3.  Toast & food process the bread or use 1/2 c breadcrumbs.

4. Make the "cheeze" sauce: Combine the tofu, tahini, cashews, almond milk, veggie broth and nutritional yeast in the blender until smooth. Add parsley.

5. Layer it up - start with the tomato/sweet potato sauce, then add eggplant, then cheeze sauce  and layer it again. Top with the breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes at 350.


11 comments:

  1. i dont even begin to know how to count calories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you for taking a break from calorie counting. I should do the opposite - actually count for a day... but I dont want to depress myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I can't get enough to eat either! I'm trying not to stress about it until after the marathon is over. Our bods need a few extra calories so we can keep up with our training right? :) btw those cookies look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if it's all you're thinking of, it's probably wise to take a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Hoagies too but that's because I don't live in Philly anymore :) I did all my brick workouts for my very first sprint in the gym. Spin class followed by the treadmill. It worked out great. As for the IM, you really have to want to do it. It is a lot of time and money to do one and if you aren't "all in" don't bother. I am glad I did it before kids because I can't imagine training for one with my job and kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You gave it a goog college try, lol. 2 weeks is about all I can last counting calories too. Actually, it's the food journaling that gets to me. I can usually keep a ballpark estimate in my head about how much I'm eating throughout the day.

    You eat "real food' anyway. That's what's important.

    Haha, love the hoagie comment. I still say "hoagie" all the time when I'm talking about a sub sandwich. People look at me like I had 2 heads here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have observed that when I try to consciously eat less, all I think about food. And when all I think about is food, it makes it even harder to lose weight. Ironic, but true for myself.

    Biking in this area is really hard. Besides the SRT, I just don't' think there are many safe places. And biking on the SRT, just isn't the same as biking on the open road. But I am a total wimp when it comes to traffic. Biking will get better, don't worry! I think it takes a while for it to become easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome conversation! In RI we call them grinders!!! My hubby always pokes fun when I ask him if he wants grinders for lunch! Counting calories can take up a lot of mental space....too much sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. don't you miss hoagies. nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really trying to NOT think about food right now in terms of amounts - just be conscious of what I am actually putting in my mouth..I actually lost some weight this week. Go.figure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to ask what on earth a hoagie is! I get that it is a sandwich from someone's comment, and can only assume it is loaded with all sorts of meat. Feel free to enlighten me!

    I think, from things you've written in the past that you may be better to stick with your 'eating clean'. It makes me so sad, from reading your posts and the resulting comments, that there are so many amazing, talented, beautiful women walking around with number of calories buzzing around in their heads.

    I'm glad you've got your motivation back. I had a read of Angela's blog and really related to a post about feeling like she's not who she is because she can't train at the mo'. It really hit home. Finding it really hard to stay motivated at mo and miss my sporty community. I know you felt pretty flat after baby 1 and so I'm hoping it'll come back to me too - not sure I fancy having to go through pregnancy again though, if that's what did it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete