7.22.2010

Getting back out there

How long did you "rest" after having a baby before you started working out again?
With Nick, I had to start training for Boston so I waited a week and ran a mile. From there, I just kept adding on the mileage until about 2 months out I did my 20 miler. I can't imagine doing 20 miles anytime soon.  I signed up for the Philly 1/2 September 19th - 2 months away. I need to get a training plan together and maybe I'll start next week ? I'm not in a rush but I know it will feel GOOD to be active again! The challenge is going to be finding the time to get to the gym or on the treadmill especially in the first 6 weeks when the baby can't go to the gym's daycare. Even after that, she'll still be little and I'm not so sure I want to bring her to the gym daycare.

How long did you wait and what did you start out with?

I realized that my photo account is maxed out because I have posted so many pictures on my baby blog over the last year and a half so I had to upgrade for more storage. It's being processed now and then I'll be able to post more pictures!

15 comments:

  1. oh my word I thought yo uwere oging to post that you ran today and I was freaking out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. three weeks of nothing. Then raced a 5K when my daughter was 23 days old. it just depends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's pretty amazing that you are raring to go! Hopefully you'll be able to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cant wait to hear how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I waited about 8 months before doing anything with my first born (haha). And about 6 months with my second. Don't take those because I wasn't active pre-births. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first workout was 9 days after Moana was born... jogged a mile to the pool, swam 2000M, jogged home. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You amaze me lol

    You can also open a free photo bucket account and just embed the code into your post. That way you don't have to pay for an upgrade. Sounds like you already paid for it though :-\

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 months with baby number one, and 1 week with baby number two. I hurt for about 2 weeks after that 1 week post partum run. Wish I had waited longer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did strength maybe 3 days PP, first run was 10 days PP and I ran 4K the day I went into labour, so I picked up with 4K again. Ran a 10K 7 weeks PP and a half 9 weeks PP. I'm now 19 weeks PP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I had images of walking with increasing mileage already but...
    There has been progress however, I did walk with the buggy for perhaps a mile yesterday without wanting to pass out!
    I guess it will just be a matter of trying to read your body. Take it easy and slowly when you do get back to it.
    I'm chomping at the bit too, but am learning that I'm having to be a bit gentle on myself.
    Kaz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ran 5 miles at week 37!!! So I was really looking forward to running again without a big o belly!!I ran one mile and walked 2 when my 4th was 2 weeks old. Then the next week I ran 2 walk 2. Then by week 4 I was running 3-5. He is 10 weeks old I just did my first 10 mile at the beginning of the week. I felt like I could have ran just days after I had him but knew I needed to be careful. Our club has a great kids club and our I was able to bring him in there right away. If you wanted you could keep the baby in the car seat and put in by the treadmill while you workout! Just try to not push yourself to fast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still on the fence about Phila - but am acting like I am doing it with my long runs :) Great to see that you're feeling good about planning!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No help here but some bambino pics here would be nice! Hope all is going well! Been thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started running about 3.5 weeks after my son was born. i guess it all depends on how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! We just got back from vacation to find you had a little girl.

    With Ryan I was running and riding after 6 weeks. With Brayden, it was literally after a week I was swimming and running again...the bike wasn't for another 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete