10.30.2008

TiaRT: Stomach Super Power


My super power would be that my stomach is ready to roll when I'm ready to run. No upset stomach (and as an add on - no random cramps or stitches) - the weird stomach issues go away and make the run perfect! Soon, that picture above will be my husband and our kids. Haha.

More on food - I thought of a few ways to get in some veggie this winter. And I want to thank IVF for the protein tip - as a vegetarian, my protein always has to be watched and I have to be super aware of it! And I've been bad about it lately. So - some ideas as of late - Pumpkin Bread and Veggie Soups! I made tomato soup & pumpkin bread this week and tonight made broccoli soup. I found a recipe which I will have to post which works for almost any veggie to make soup. It's super easy and then you get your nutrients easily!

I also want to hear if Laurel survived the Philly craziness over the last few days and the upcoming parade as the Phillies are the world series champs! I used to be a big fan when I was about 13, 14, 15, and then sports took a back seat and I stopped caring much. But it is exciting to have the hometown team win the championship for sure. What is even better is that most of my students said they weren't coming to school tomorrow. It should be a great day! : )


On running today - I took Laurel's advice and followed the plan where you run for a certain amt of time and then walk a minute. So I did run 10 and walk 1. My problem that I keep having is the first 20 minutes are painful shin splints. I'm not running fast, and I don't know what is going wrong. I don't usually get them unless I'm sprinting. Thanks, J, for the strengthening exercise tips and beachrunner for the info a while ago on them. Still working on it!

At the gym, I ran into my neighbor who is 38 weeks pregnant and finally stopped running last Saturday. She - and Heather - are my pregnancy heroes, I hope that I get that far! My neighbor looks like she is carrying something in her hoodie pocket. She is sooo tiny.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend - ncrunner and NYC marathon runners!

13 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh pumpkin bread is my favorite. I need to make some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the super power. I think all runners can relate to that one.

    You are still doing a great job getting your runs in. Make sure you are icing your shins and stretching them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all about anything pumpkin right now! Keep working on the shins - they will get better in time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your hometown Phils and the city in general for a great championship. Hope your shins feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm pumpkin bread. I am so envious of your super power. I have the worst stomach and always have issues when I run. I started taking immodium AD before races and long runs, that helped a lot.

    Hope the shin splints go away. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the good luck! I'm all about the veggie soups, my absolute favorite is the Campbells Chunky Savory Vegetable... mmmmm, is it lunch time yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha- love the picture!

    I'm all about pumpkin bread (and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, mmmmm).

    And I love veggie soups, too! My favorite is tomato (with a grilled cheese sandwich). My SIL makes a really yummy carrot soup (but I think it uses chicken stock).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that first picture! The matching father son super man costume is classic. Um. What do you means "kids"? You're already thinking of more?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i could use some of that stomach power lately... GAH i hate stomach issues while running!!

    do you ice your legs after?? try out the ice bucket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a vegetarian, but basically eat like one 99% of the time. I'd love you to share your easy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did so well with good food and nutrition while I was pregnant... now it's all about meeting Moana's nutritional needs and I'll go forever without eating and not even realize it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LMAO what are you talking about? You ARE (and WILL be) tiny when you get that far along as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! I know this post is older, but I just thought I'd check if you're wearing the right shoes...if you are wearing the wrong kind it could totally be causing the shin splints. :) I've been reading a lot about it! ha he...

    ReplyDelete