9.04.2011

September is smoothie month

I'm going to have a smoothie challenge for this month, one smoothie to try every day. Anyone want to join me?  I was getting bored of the same smoothies day after day - bananas, strawberries or blueberries, spinach and milk. Blahhh. So I've been doing some research to find some more exciting ones.  What is your favorite smoothie recipe? Please share.  I always add spinach because you can't even taste it.

Today's smoothie was:

Chocolate Cake Batter Smoothie
I added spinach and it was green
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cups oats
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp cocoa
  • 1 tbsp cashews

Yesterday's smoothie was Gingerbread. 
This one was more like a meal. I drank this around 11am and didn't eat lunch did 4pm yesterday. It was filling.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

Next up: Healthy Cake Batter Smoothie

I mean, just from the names, who wouldn't want one of these??

My training this week was weird because our gym was closed for the annual week of maintenance.  On Monday, I ran on the treadmill. Tuesday I used my dad's espresso bike. I went so slow on that thing. It was a hard workout. Wednesday morning we got to swim in the outdoor pool for masters. It was FREEZING! but I love swimming outside, it was great! I took the kids for a stroller run and warmed up quickly once I got home. Thursday was my long run (on the treadmill) and Friday outside swimming again. Yesterday I did a good but short swim set outside and today was my long bike ride.

One week until race day! This week's stats for the bike were low without the spin class! I think spinning adds on the miles but isn't accurate for me. I can spin 21 miles/hour but outside my average speed is probably 12-14. I'm looking forward to seeing what my bike speed is in the race since I've really been training more on my bike!

Run 23.9 miles
Bike 28 miles
Swim 5.9 miles




4 comments:

  1. Those smoothies look amazing.
    Yeah spinning and outside biking are def different in terms of speed. It is frustrating trying to increase your speed on the bike. It is not my natural sport.
    Outdoor swimming - brrrrrr! Well done on the mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made the gingerbread smoothie--delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely keep an eye on this, since I am all about having a smoothie a day right now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These smoothies look great! They look like delicious drinks to have after long workouts! I look forward to making them!! Good luck on your race!!

    ReplyDelete