3.12.2011

Confidence Building Long Run

Bumper stickers coming your way - Karen, Abby and Andrea. Send me an email with your address to mail it to - tosha25italia at yahoo.   Thanks for commenting!

Today's long run turned out to be super! I was debating my plan all week. My goal was to run 9 minute miles.  If I ran with the group or my fast friend from swimming, I'd be tempted to go out too quickly with the faster people to get done faster. If I ran a slower pace, I'd probably be impatient and disappointed. I opted to run by myself - it's been so long since I've done this for a long run, and I was kind of nervous at to what pace I would hold on my own, not being motivated by a group.  I decided to do a similar run to the group run last weekend with some hill training and out and backs. At 7am, I headed out to do a loop of Valley Forge park - great hill practice for the 1/2 I'm doing in 2 weeks.  My first mile was 9:32 and I was like, oh great, this is going to be a long morning! Then I got into a groove: 8:42, 8:50, 8:43, 8:47, and 9:06. I don't know what was up with the last mile there, I felt like the GPS was wrong, I didn't feel like I slowed down!

I thought about doing one more loop of the park, it was such a gorgeous morning, but I opted to head back to where the bike path is and look for the group that arrives at 8am. My running group offers long runs starting at 7 in various locations and shorter runs at 8am always at the bike path/running trail. The running trail was too soaked to run and the group was out to do 7 miles - 3.5 out and 3.5 back. I wasn't hugely excited about this, but I knew once I got to 3.5 I would just have to turn around and go back, so it was ok.

Most of this group is training for Broad Street as beginners, so I was in the front. There was a pair of runners who took off running probably 8:15s but I kept my pace even and ran 8:57, 8:49, 8:52 and then started to fade. I was picturing a cup of gatorade and water and knew I had not drank enough water!  I didn't carry it with me and my goal was to get to the finish where there would be cups of water and gatorade!  I was fading - 9:06 then 9:05. Then I could see a shadow of another runner behind me - I didn't hear him, but I turned my head to see a guy with the barefoot shoes on.  He was my GODsend! He said I was his fish and he was chasing me down for miles... and that he was going to run with me for a bit. I ended up trying to stay with him as much as I could and finishing with him. He kept me strong - 8:56, 8:30 and 8:48 for the last half mile.  I finished feeling great! I am excited for this half marathon, I feel like I just need someone to run with me for the last 5k! I think that I can definitely run around 8:45 pace, but I think my goal might be 8:30. I think I can do it!  The only negative was I had some calf and knee pain around mile 6 - and my calf still is kind of tight. I guess stretching?

13.47 miles 1:58:55/ 8:49 pace
I wish I took pictures but I was too focused on keeping my pace! It was a gorgeous morning!

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic run! Well done! I'm sure you won't fade in the last 5k in the race as you'll have folk around you to target - reel in your own fish and then choose another once you've caught the first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the long run!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the run!!!! Sounds like you really kept your head in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Glad you are getting your confidence back! I think 8:30 is totally do-able.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm sure you will do great at the race!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great run! It's so nice to have one of these types of runs. I'm Sure you're going to rock this half!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome job!!! You are so ready!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. VERY solid run!! I think 8:30 or under is totally reasonable for the half. You're doing awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job on the run! love confidence boosting runs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY! Fantastic! You are going to rock the race!

    ReplyDelete