11.05.2010

The New Clif Gel

If you haven't heard, Clif came out with a new recipe for their shot gels.  It has the minimum of ingredients, is almost 100% organic and adds 50% more electrolytes than the previous recipe.  The gels include: Organic Maltodextrin, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Water, Sea Salt, and various concentrates depending on the flavor. They come in varying levels of caffeine.

The flavors and caffeine:
No caffeine: Chocolate, Vanilla & Razzberry
25mg: Strawberry and Citrus
50mg: Mocha
100mg: Double Espresso & Chocolate Cherry

I was sent a handful of the gels to try and review.   I'm not into much caffeine so I tried the chocolate (no caffeine), raspberry (RAZZ) (no caffeine) and citrus (1/2 shot of caffeine).   The chocolate flavor reminded me of chocolate-raspberry. The after taste was a little bitter (not too sweet) and it still tasted a bit thick.  It grew on me by the end, but I preferred the fruity flavors.  The raspberry and citrus were much different, much thinner and very tasty.  They might have even been a bit too sweet. I could taste the raspberry flavor and I'm not usually a big raspberry fan- it was yummy! I would definitely do the fruity flavors.  One gripe: An ingredient of the chocolate is Natural Flavor - I'm never sure of what that means.  I also tried just a little bit of the Mocha and liked the taste and consistency.  That gives you a big boost so I only had a little bit.  100mg is way too much for me so I didn't try the double espresso or chocolate cherry but look out for a giveaway next week with some of these gels included!

Have you tried them? What are your thoughts?
 Be on the lookout for a giveaway including the new gels coming up for Clif's anniversary in mid November!

* I was sent gels to review but was not compensated for this review. The opinions are all my own.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! I'm nervous but maybe i'll give them a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Clif Shot Bloks and their new gels too. I used them both in the Des Moines Marathon and felt great!! No tummy issues and I had lots of energy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add that I liked the Chocolate Cherry flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea that more and more gels are trying to go the "natural" route

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate gels. Ugh. How do you manage to get them down? I'd as soon eat hair gel, I really would!

    ReplyDelete