11.14.2010

Taper & Pumpkin Pancakes

I woke up last Tuesday with little of a voice and I can't seem to kick whatever is going on in my head/ears/throat. It's awful and I never get sick!  Last week I heard a study that people who work out 5 days/ week have half the chance of getting the common cold and I was telling Bill about it because he was coughing and I was not sympathetic. Look where that got me.

I ran 9 miles Tuesday morning anyway because I felt ok, just didn't have much of a voice.  I did an easy bike and one mile on Wednesday, 9 miles on Thursday and then just decided to rest so I could kick this thing.  We had a rough night on Thursday night with Nick coughing all night and waking us up and Kara kicking herself out of her swaddle and waking herself up (3 times!) so by Friday I was just exhausted! I intended to take off Friday and planned on swimming or running Saturday and Sunday and then I just slept and didn't do anything. Now I have this half marathon coming up in one week and I'm not 100%. I think it is good my legs got to rest for 3 days but I'm a little nervous now. Should I rest until it's gone or start up again tomorrow?  My demeanor is definitely different from the lack of activity - it just makes me feel so good!  And energized too.

During the week I made Heather's Truffles  but added in protein powder to add something healthy and used coconut oil instead of butter:

10 Whole Foods Brand Duplex Cookies, crushed in food processor
1/4 c hemp protein powder
1/4 c coconut oil, melted
2 T chia seeds
Mix all - shape into balls, put in fridge to firm up. They were actually way too sweet and I kept adding more protein powder and chia.


 This morning for pancake Sunday I used Sarena's Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancake Recipe under November 4th - can't figure out how to link right to the post. Very good and fall like.  My favorite are still her peanut butter oatmeal ones.
 
Gluten Free Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes
(serves 1)

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground up whole oats
1 TBSP flax meal mixed with 3 TBSP hot water and set aside for 5 minutes
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup pumpkin
1/3 cup almond milk
1/2 T maple syrup
3 shakes pumpkin pie spice
1 shake cinnamon

Mix everything together and cook in a nonstick skillet or a regular skillet with coconut oil.



The Peanut Butter Oatmeal Pancakes adapted from Non Dairy Queen Sarena

1/2 cup quick oats
2 TBSP nut butter
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 TBSP maple syrup
1 TBSP flax
1 c almond milk + more if needed
2 scoops hemp protein powder (optional) 
chocolate chips (optional)

Cook up in coconut oil. Yum!

8 comments:

  1. Do some light running this week to see how you well feel. I wouldn't push it or worry about it- you've made it 9-- your good! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pancakes look delish - I am totally going to try them this week. And PS - we have the same plates :)
    Hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy pancakes, thanks for the recipe! Get feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Sorry you have been feeling down..you've got enough time to recover and be ready to go, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think those pancakes will be my breakfast on monday after the marathon!

    feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. rest as much as poss so you're as on form as much as poss for race - there's a limit to how much more training will improve your performance to the good but oppositely by not getting better your performance can be severly effected for the worse. Hope that makes sense.

    I really need to get cooking more, but it is so hard to find the time / make time.

    I hope you feel better soon - pesky bugs!

    Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  7. david has had some crud like that for a week now too, I feel so bad for him! Hope you are feeling completely better by race time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made the pumpkin oatmeal pancakes - but did waffles instead! They were great - thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete