8.30.2011

fruit leather success, mileage and week 7?

The second batch of fruit leather turned out really well! Instead of 3 or 4 hours at 225, I did about 4 hours at 175 and kept checking it. I also left the oven door open for most of the dehydrating process. It was pretty cool! It doesn't look much like the kind they sell, but it tastes really good. I'd try it again.
 The recipe was from here and mine NEVER looks like the picture. Ever.

Peach Fruit Leather
4 Ripe Peaches (skin on)
1/2 - 1 Tbsp Agave Nectar

1. Preheat oven to 200 F degrees.
2. Rinse and remove seeds from peaches.
3. Place the peaches and agave in a blender and puree until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet and spread with the back of a spoon or spatula in a large rectangle (my rectangle was 11 x 15 inches) making sure that the thickness is completely even.
5. Bake for 3-4 hours or until dry and not sticky to the touch. Remember, cooking times will vary depending on how thick you spread your mixture and how much water (juice) is naturally in the fruit.**
6. Set aside and cool at room temperature; it takes several hours for the fruit to soften up. Note that when you first take the fruit leather out of the oven, the edges will be a bit dry and crispy, but if you allow it to sit out for several hours it softens up nicely.
7. Cut with a knife, pizza cutter or scissors into strips, keeping the paper on if desired, then roll the leather into “roll ups”.
8. Serve.

Last week was my 7th week of training and I had 23.2 miles running, 56.3 biking and 5.5 miles swimming.  I have been recording everything on Runner's World even though I had switched to Daily Mile because that is where all of my history is! And I like the summaries. I just took a look at my running miles this summer and they are so low compared to the past.

June 72.6 miles
July 98 miles
August so far 94 miles (I think I need to run 6 miles to get to 100).

I was consistently doing around 140 miles a month before triathlon training and burn out. I don't miss it all that much!  What's your monthly mileage?


Happy Birthday to my sister today! Kara is wearing little flip flops in your honor Kimp! How cute are those little feet!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be happy with just the 23.2 miles of running for the week. Your superwoman.

    Kara's little feet are so cute. Seeing stuff like this makes me want to have another baby, like tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete