8.31.2011

How things have changed; make your own breadcrumb mix

Well, I hit 99.3 miles for the month of August and the former me would be on the treadmill pounding out the 0.7 miles to get to 100 miles, but the current me just does not care. When I'm done, I'm done. I used to be very OCD about all my runs, especially long runs, making it to the exact next mile, or 1/2 mile and now if it's 10.33 miles, I don't think twice about stopping.  Where do you fall?

The spinach cookies ball recipe that my mother in law makes and we all love calls for stuffing mix and if you look at the ingredients on most, it's a long list of them. And many of them have chicken stock in them. I found this recipe and made my own and made my best batch of spinach balls yet.  I call them spinach cookies because it is not a healthy recipe except for the spinach - butter, parmesan cheese, frozen spinach, stuffing mix and egg.  The best thing about making your own stuffing/breadcrumbs is that you can pick the bread - Ezekial works too!

Here is the recipe from About.com- I scaled it down about 1/4.

  • 30 slices firm bread
  • 3 Tbsp. instant minced onion
  • 2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp. seasoned pepper
  • 1/3 cup cooking oil
  • 3 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 3/4 tsp. ground sage

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cut bread slices into 1/2" cubes and place in two 13x9" baking pans. Toast bread cubes at 300 degrees for 45 minutes, or until toasted, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and cool slightly. In large bowl, mix together onion, garlic salt, seasoned pepper, oil, parsley flakes, and sage. Lightly toss bread cubes with seasonings to coat cubes. Place in a large airtight container and label "Herbed Stuffing Mix". Store in the refrigerator and use within 2 months. You can freeze the mix up to 6 months. Use in any recipe calling for stuffing mix. Makes about 12 cups.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say I fight the OCD tendencies too, but watching my dad wash his spoon under boiling water for the umpteenth time provides a good motivator! LOL! Poor Pops! I definitely think it's a good thing to relax a little.
    The stuffing mix sounds gooooood.
    Great that you can comment again - yay!
    A cyclosportive is a road bike race. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little OCD about my mileage. If I go over a little bit that's fine of course but I always try to run/walk/crawl my planned distance (within reason of course).

    That stuffing looks yummy! Now you've got me excited for thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still tend to be pretty OCD about my mileage, but not mileage totals for the week or month. I usually feel like I failed if I plan on running 5 miles, but only end up doing 4.78 or something like that. Though, since I've had Eva, I just tell myself that its good enough and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I've let go of some of those OCD tendencies after having kids. You only have so much time and energy in your day, and focusing on something like fractions of miles is just not something I usually have the wherewithal for these days.

    ReplyDelete