8.05.2008

Swimming and running tales

I went to the gym today with no intention of running, but once I arrived, I took one look at the elliptical and really just didn't want to do it. So I grabbed a magazine and told myself I'd walk and read the magazine. Walking fast was painful, so I slowly jogged. It wasn't killer, but I probably shouldn't have done it. I kept at it for an hour, thank you knee, for that allowance!!

I swam yesterday and whoa, I am sore today. A little background on the swimming - at the high school I teach at, there is a masters program that swims in the mornings before school. There is no coach, everyone takes turns with a dry erase board where a 3000 yard workout is made up and by speed, we get into lanes and swim. For the summer, it is moved outside to a local meter pool, and it works the same. All fall, winter and spring, I started swimming with the fast people, but couldn't fully keep up and started to get unmotivated. So I took off June and July (and also, I didn't want to get up so early when I could be sleeping in!) and went back yesterday. There was no in between lane between the slooowww swimmers and my fast partner so I ended up swimming with her and having to BUST my ass to get by. It felt really good to swim, but I have to say, my knee even hurt here, when pushing off the walls. Oh well! I plan to keep going, hopefully until school starts! They are in the process of demolishing our high school pool for construction and rebuilding, so it is up in the air now for swimming this fall, so I should swim while I can!

All in all, I'm so glad I could run, even though it was a quite slower pace than usual and I probably could have rested it for more time. I'm going to keep icing and take it easy until it starts to feel better!

5 comments:

  1. Jealous! I wish I had that! Maybe that would be the kick I need to do better in the swim part of Tris. You are one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with FL. So jelli that you have access to a pool and swimming program. Hope the knee feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooo one of the perks of being a teacher, eh? Very nice!

    I'm sorry about the knee though. Get better ASAP!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh hope the knee feels better soon! keep taking it easy and taking care of it!!

    awesome job on the swimming, i wish i knew how - its such an awesome workout :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, how fun! I think I would swim a lot faster if I had some speedy swimmers keeping me in check. Sounds like you kept up like a champ, even with the knee. Hope it doesn't give you too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete