6.09.2009

More food and running

Today I was trying to work on speed. I forgot I have a 5k at my school this Sunday, that I'd like to run fast for! I haven't done a 5k since April, so I'm looking forward to this! Today I decided I'd work on speed. I like working on speed in terms of the workout going by quickly, but I don't in that it is difficult! When I did my 2 miles warmup, I thought, ok, I'm going to run mile repeats. I didn't make it through the first mile, and cut it back to 1/2 mile repeats. I did one of those and then decided 1/4 mile repeats would be fine. So I worked on them and did 2 1/2 mile repeats and 3 or 4 1/4 mile repeats. They were decent but not as great as I was hoping for, and by the end my legs were tired and I was kind of out of breath!

I went into school today to see my students, this was hard but we had a great day there (and then Nick slept for 3 hours) ! The sup't hasn't responded yet.

Some experiments this week so far: (Note: somewhere along the way my pictures went back to being small on the default, so click on them for a big picture)

Granola Bars

These turned out way too sweet, here is what I used:

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c honey
  • 1/4 c hemp oil
  • 1/4 c nanners almond butter
  • 2 c. oats
  • 1/4 c ground flax
  • 1/4 c sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 c flax seeds
  • 1/4 c coconut



Lara Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar - I liked this! I followed the recipe exactly. These taste like chips ahoy to me. And Lara Bars.





Veggie Burgers

I didn't make the dressing, which would have made them better. These were a little dry. Here's what I used:

  • Burgers
  • 1/2 cup dried lentils
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
  • 15-oz. dried/soaked chickpeas
  • A bunch of dried parsley leaves
  • 3 egg whites
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 piece whole wheat bread
  • 3/4 cup grated carrots
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder

I mainly used the food processor to process everything together. These turned out a bit dry and definitely would have been better with the dressing. It made 10 burgers, I'll make the dressing for the rest!


Tonight's dinner: Veggie Burger, baked sweet potatoes, kale and spinach frittata


Where'd everyone go? Not many comments lately. Maybe the food stuff is boring, I just need something to keep me busy! I'm still looking for bakers. I have around 6 amazing souls but hope to get more from some of you talented people out there!!

15 comments:

  1. yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. will you come be my personal chef?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the recipes!! And is that your baby at the top of the page? If so he's absolutely adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still reading, just don't have a whole lot of insight to contribute in the way of comments :) Sounds like you're figuring out how to fill your time well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dinner looks very good. I still need to make the spinach fritta. You are on a roll with the cooking.

    As for blogging, I think summer is getting to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooking machine!!! lara bars look good!

    Good luck this wknd with the 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No! Don't stop posting the food stuff -- I love it!!:) I just started reading your blog a month ago, and that's one of the things that keeps me coming back for more! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and yes...you eat the chia seeds raw. Just mix them into something. Really good in oatmeal. And I bet you could add them to your baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did it go with the superintendent? Any chance you'll be able to get a P/T opportunity?

    I also find the sprints hard, but funnily enough I seem to have way more energy for the cool down run at the end and then feel like I could go again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still here!!! Been really busy so I pop in and out of blogs...I've been bad at commenting.

    I'm enjoying the food posts....I get so many good ideas from people. Just wish I had more time to make more stuff. All those granola bars look AWESOME!!!

    Good luck with the 5K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many recipes to try! Thanks. I've never heard of hemp oil, but I suspect I can track it down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you just make the bars and then let them sit in the frig??? i gotta try this

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you need to come cook for me! Sheesh girl you are a machine! :) Also, those veggie burgers look delish! I will have to try them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. no motivation to cook so i haven't been commenting! but go for the 5k! you will be speedy i bet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with the others, you can come live with me and i'll watch Nick while you run and cook me dinner, then vise versa. However, all i can make is mac n cheese. Is that ok? HA HA HA!

    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. if i knew how to make anything, i would totally help. do brownies count? ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete