6.02.2009

Owater & Granola Bars

Addie at Owater sent me some waters to try out. The infused owaters are "your healthy sports drink." They are made with all natural flavors and no fake sweeteners. The different flavors are made with natural flavors, electrolytes, antioxidants and pure cane sugar. Here is a label from the blueberry flavor:
You can see the ingredients and nutritional facts on the website for each flavor.

Taste : Lemon lime tasted like watered down gatorade. The other flavors tasted like water with a hint of flavor - just enough to be tasty, but not too sweet.

Nutrition: Not only does it contain electrolytes, but also antioxidants. I don't like how it has 9g of sugar, but it is better than using aspartame or another type of fake sweetener

Cost: From what I've looked at, Owater costs a little over a dollar per bottle. It is around the same price as Vitamin Water, and now that I think of it, has a similar taste to Vitamin Water.
So, it is a bit pricey, but has more going for it than gatorade (which also has high fructose corn syrup in most flavors).

Overall : I like how the waters contain both electrolytes and antioxidants. It is 'good for you' water. Like most special waters, the price is on the higher end. But unlike other waters, owater has all of the good stuff in it. I wouldn't replace owater with my everyday water drinking, but I will try it out for long run nutrition. If I buy a case, I will save it for before or after long runs or races.

You can find it locally by using the store locator tool or buying online through amazon or other retailers. Check the website for more info!

OWATER review

________________________________________________________________
Last night I made some granola bars using a recipe from Allwhites.com that I happened to clip from a magazine. I made some changes to the recipe - and they turned out pretty good!
They were chewy and not too crisp. Some of them fell apart, but overall, pretty yummy! I would add in some cinnamon and maybe cut the honey. I also added in some water.

I halved the recipe and made the changes below.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped dates
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/8 cup ground flax
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 of 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 egg whites
Mix it all together and spread on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 16-18 minutes. Enjoy!







Marathon Recovery Article
- anything to add?

6 comments:

  1. The granola bars look really good. Nice job baking. I may need to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bars look great!! You're quite the chef lately!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your such the lil cook! I wish i could be a good cook!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.s.

    wow! good article! are you writing for a newspaper or something? if you mentioned this previously i applogize for my lack of reading. i probably missed it because of a cute pic of Nick :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review of the water. I've been looking for a gatorade alternative recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I lived close to you. I'd be over for lunch all the time :-)
    I haven't made granola bars for years. I feel inspired now. Or maybe I'll just go buy a box :-)

    ReplyDelete