6.19.2009

WHy flax?


SPOTLIGHT ON FLAXSEED

I don't know when I started using flax, but for me, it was because of the Omega 3's that I wasn't getting since I don't eat fish. I wanted to do some research and check out the benefits of flax (and make sure it is worth using in my baking, peanut butter and oatmeal)!

FLAX
Flax is a seed grown in cool climates. Ground flax is said to be more easily digestible than the seed itself. I use a coffee grinder to grind it up!

BENEFITS
So flax- it has Omega 3 fatty acids, which may have these benefits:

  • great source of fiber
  • natural antioxidant
  • reduced risk of cancer, diabetes, heart attack
  • helps lower cholesterol
  • protective effects against breast cancer and prostate cancer
  • can help with hot flashes and constipation
WHERE TO FIND IT
You can find flaxseed in the health food section of your local grocery store. It is sold as seeds and ground, but is usually more cost efficient if you purchase the seeds and grind yourself. Whole Foods and health stores will definitely have it if you cannot find in your supermarket.

STORE IT
In the fridge or freezer

FLAX IN FOODS

The easiest way to incorporate flax into your diet is a tablespoon here and there - in baked goods (cookies, muffins, breads - throw it into the dough), oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, smoothies... try it out!

Try this recipe, adapted from here: it only makes 6-8 muffins

Almond Surprise Power Muffins
1 egg
1/4 c brown sugar - I need to try agave to see if that works too
1 tbsp canola oil
1/3 c ground flax
2/3 c ground oatmeal
1/3 c whole wheat flour
1 mashed banana or 1 cup of pumpkin or sweet potato puree
1/2 tsp baking soda
1.5 tbs almond butter (optional)

Use a whisk and whisk all together then put half the batter into each muffin cup,add a tspish of almond butter to each one, then top with rest of batter, then bake until set! Add some chocolate chips for an extra! : )
ready to go in the oven...




Locals looking for a Father's Day 5k?? Click here for 2.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting info. I put flax in my granola, but I'll have to try the muffins. They look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love flax, too! It's really convient and I always feel so good for that extra little "effort!"
    Good job on the swimming lately, maybe give yourself a rest from running and the dread will eventually turn to the need again. Maybe your body is telling you something? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the flax info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. neat info- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeek! My flax seed has been in a cupboard since I bought my first bag a month ago!! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love flax seed...eat it every day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ate a kashi chocolate peanut bar for Bk this morning and thought of you. i figured you would be proud! :)

    nick is getting SO big! his big blue eyes melt my heart! i'm sure he is lots of fun to play with too! :)

    ReplyDelete