1.14.2010

Bad biscuits and Birthday



I saw a picture in Today's Diet and Nutrition Magazine for these bad biscuits - as in, not healthy!
They were REALLY good.

Recipe: (adapted from TD&N magazine)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
2 TBS baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
5 tbs cold butter
1 cup skim milk

Sift flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Cut butter into flour until it is crumbly. Add the milk, then form dough into a ball - it will be dry. Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead 3-4 times. Cover dough with a kitchen towel and let sit for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425. Roll dough out into 1 inch thick - cut into circles using an inverted glass. Place on cookie sheet 12 minutes or till brown. Yum! Makes 1 dozen

Calories (for 1):126, Fat: 5.2g, Carbs: 17.1, Fiber: 1.5g, Protein:3.5g, Cholesterol: 13g



The birthday preparations are coming along well - I have a bib, made cupcake toppers, made the favors (to be pictured later on the last two things), made a sign, and bought a shirt.
The colors are going to be blue and red, with the airplane theme. So I'm going to pick up red and blue balloons and everything that I've made is one of those colors.

Here's where I need your help. Well first I want a 3 tiered cupcake / cake stand so that I can put Nick's mini low or no sugar cake on top and cupcakes on the bottom 2 layers. Anyone seen a good one?

Second, his shirt. I have seen so many cute shirts on Etsy but not one that I love. I want to make it myself so I picked up this shirt from Old Navy and somehow I want to get at least a 1 on it real big, but also maybe his name? I have blue, red and cloud fabric. The placement of the truck here kind of stinks but I could not find a plane shirt like this. Any ideas for placing the one (maybe with a background) or finding a shirt just like this that has no truck? The colors match the I AM ONE party hat that I got him and I like how they are blue to go with his eyes.





Here's one from Etsy that was cute from little one boutique




Any creative sewers out there?

13 comments:

  1. Cute ideas! I love the shirt!! :) I can sew, but not too good-- yet anyway! I love the idea of finding something on Etsy! my favorite site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mMmMmM...biscuits!

    Make your own cupcake stand! It's so much cheaper. Here's my post: http://taketimetosmelltherose.blogspot.com/2009/08/make-your-own-cupcake-stand.html

    Hmm, don't know what to tell you about the shirt :-( I love cafepress.com and have bought from them before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mMmMmM...biscuits!

    Make your own cupcake stand! It's so much cheaper. Here's my post: http://taketimetosmelltherose.blogspot.com/2009/08/make-your-own-cupcake-stand.html

    Hmm, don't know what to tell you about the shirt :-( I love cafepress.com and have bought from them before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is all the birthday stuff. I can't believe Nick is going to be 1 already!! I wish I could sew. My mom and my sister have that ability, but it skipped me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look delicious. Biscuits are one of the foods i never let into the house because I could eat the whole batch, but I'll have to try those this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, those biscuits look soooooo great!!

    I love the idea of buying something off of Etsy as well and it looks like there is enough time to order.

    They had some cute stuff on here: http://www.polkadotpatch.com/baby-boy-clothes.html

    Tons of cupcake stuff at Pottery Barn Kids http://www.potterybarnkids.com/gift/thm/thmocc/thmoccbip/?&bnrid=3560501&cm_ven=NonBrandSearch&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=KidsBirthdaysPartiesGeneral&cm_ite=kids+cupcake+stand.

    Those might be too girly, though.

    They have cupcake stands at Target and Crate and Barrel as well.

    http://fattiefatterton.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I am not crafty in any shape or form.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love biscuits and they looked really good!! I love the color theme, it's going to be a fun day. Can't wait to see the favors. i think favors are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have zero talent or creativity for sewing... hope you can figure something out. It sounds like the party preparations are well underway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buttah, biscuits, and strawberry jelly. Mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those biscuits need some pear butter!! Yummy!

    Great prep for the big day!

    I love the white shirt! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo, party prep is in full swing! I am not creative, I am an accountant - sorry :(
    The bisquits look divine!

    ReplyDelete