1.31.2010

Nutritional Yeast



I picked up some nutritional yeast at Whole Foods (breaking my no shopping rule until Feb1, but that was all I bought) to try, and here is what I made:

1 - popcorn with nutritional yeast - tasted like cheese popcorn. I really liked this!!!


2- Mae inspired pizza on a flat out wrap with broccoli, avocado, lentils, chick pea patties, and some cheese with Mae's humnut sauce (hummus, nutritional yeast and water).

Now I'm looking for more recipes to use this nutritional yeast, next up- Mae's Pumpkin Cheesecake Protein Ice Cream! - but in the meantime here is what I've found out about it:

Nutritional Yeast
great for vegetarians - B12 and B6
it comes in flakes
described as a nutty, cheesy flavor
2 tbs = 60 calories = 7g protein=70% vit B12, 23% vit B6, 3g fiber +tons of amino acids
use in place of parmesan cheese

If you have any experience with it - pass it along!

9 comments:

  1. Huh. I never knew yeast had any other use aside from raising dough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE nooch in the gidget household!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I had no idea about nutritional yeast, I just said today that I need to get more protein into my diet, this could help! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So is it just like a spice/flavoring or do you use it as a base for cooking things? I'm totally confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nutritional Yeast is sooo good for you! I had never heard of it before. Did you just sprinkle the popcorn with it to add flavor? So cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your new header pic.

    I've always wanted to try nutritional yeast, but, have been scared. You seem like you really like it so maybe I should just brave it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always keep nutritional yeast on hand. I won't eat tofu scramble without it. It's also good in gravies and sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can learn a lot about its use in this book http://www.amazon.com/Nutritional-Yeast-Cookbook-Recipes-Vegetarian/dp/1570670382 by Jo Stepaniak. Most vegan cookbooks owe her (and her many cookbooks) a debt of gratitude for pioneering recipes which are now widely copied and adapted. Follow her recipes EXACTLY at first before judging (don't sub bottled lemon juice for fresh, for example). I love many things from her books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nutritional Yeast is a staple in our household...tofu scramble, soy cheese, gravies...you name it. Check out our creamy soy cheese recipe at www.stemartaen.com. Use it for great vegan lasagna and pizzas.

    ReplyDelete