1.16.2010

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

I guess I didn't get enough protein yesterday. Inspired by this recipe, I made vegan (minus the chocolate chips - not gluten free I don't think with oatmeal and ww flour?) chocolate chip cookies.



VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES Recipe:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup ground oatmeal
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp ground flax + 1/2 cup water
1/2 c carob chips (or chocolate chips if you aren't worried about the vegan part).

Mix wet with dry - dough is dry


My first dozen could have well been raw chocolate chip cookies. The batter was really super good and they were easy to roll into balls. I felt like it needed more liquid - it easily broke apart but wasn't crumbly at all. For the second dozen, I added one flax egg (1 TBSP ground flax + 1/4 cup water) and they came out much more soft and chewy. These were very lovely!

First batch on left and second with flax on the right
If you like crispy and flat, omit flax!

Nutrition Facts (per 1 cookie) - makes 2 dozen: Calories 117.4, Fat 6g, Carbs: 13.1g, Fiber: 1.5 g, Protein: 2.25g






Here's Nick's treadmill debut:




I liked hearing about the different ice creams most people enjoy. I almost bought the edy's slow churned but I'm nuts about the ingredients!! See below:


Breyer's Cookies and Cream
INGREDIENTS: Milk, Cream, Sugar, Whey, Natural Flavor, Natural Tara Gum (?),Chocolate Cookie pieces: wheat flour, palm oil, palm kernel oil,cocoa(processed w alkali), salt, baking soda, soy lecithin, natural flavor.


Edy's Slow Churned C & C:


INGREDIENTS: milk, skim milk, cream, sugar, chocolate cookies [sugar, enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folate), partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, cocoa processed with alkali, high fructose corn syrup, corn flour, corn starch, chocolate, baking soda, salt, natural and artificial flavor, soy lecithin], corn syrup, whey protein, egg yolks, tapioca maltodextrin, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, natural flavor, guar gum, carrageenan, dextrose, vitamin A palmitate, annatto color

My problems are the italicized items - I really try to avoid partially hydrogenated anything and h.f. corn syrup!

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT VIDEO!!

    OMG He is so cute natalie!!! I love that he stops every once in a while! That seriously melts my heart!

    Keep them coming!!! :) Bill's comentary is hilarous too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, look at little Nick on the treadmill! Getting started early!

    Suddenly I have a craving for ice cream......

    ReplyDelete
  3. That video is too cute!

    About the protein, I've started putting Fage in my morning smoothie. Sounds like you're already doing the Greek Yogurt, but I couldn't believe how much protein Fage contained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. go nick! what time does he need to BQ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Pretty soon he'll be running on there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick looks so at ease on the treadmill. Better watch out he'll be racing you in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mm look yummy! Aww what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little one is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! He is sooooo cute Natalie! Love the video!

    ReplyDelete