1.20.2010

vitamix; cooking;amaranth?

I want a vitamix. They sound so cool and everytime I see something made from them it looks super creamy and good. I have a new blender and it is an upgrade from the one from college but I wish I could win a vitamix! Does anyone have one? How much better is it from a blender?

Today I went to whole foods and picked up tons of grains, fruits and veggies - was totally low on all! Nick was in the cart and happily chewing on his teething giraffe when he started reaching for fruits. He got a pear and I was thinking of the old toothless days when I saw that he was biting into it -haha. The pear kept him happy the whole shopping adventure - which took forever! I let the lady know to ring me up for it but a mom bagger worker said Don't worry about it! Whatever keeps them happy! aww.

I picked up AMARANTH. It sounded good but it was the worst grain I've EVER tasted. And I love grains. Anyone had this before? It was awful! Bitter! What to do with it! I think I was thinking AMARetto and that sounds and tastes good.. don't think they come from the same plant.

After the WF trip, I did some cooking today - I made Salsa Chicken for Bill and some coconut curry for me with veggies. The recipe called for fresh ginger - I had no idea what I was doing and the flavor BLEW ME AWAY. And Bill too - omit next time! Have you used fresh ginger?



Honey Salsa Chicken

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:

1.5 cup salsa
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs. soy sauce
4-8 Tbs. (¼ – ½ cup) chopped fresh ginger (I was told to omit next time or food process)

4 chicken breasts

DIRECTIONS:

Combine picante sauce, honey, soy sauce and ginger in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Place chicken in shallow baking dish; cover with sauce mixture. Bake @ 350 F for 25-35 minutes. Serve with your favorite veggie!


This is what I encountered when trying to cook during playtime...



Next up - curry. I took 2 TBSP coconut oil, 1 28 oz can tomatoes, 1 tbsp curry and 1 tsp ginger for this puppy - then I added in my veggies (mushrooms, broccoli and then some beans). I got in my veggies today, woohoo!


8 comments:

  1. Such a cute little boy!!! I have never tried fresh ginger :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love fresh ginger, but it is to be used relatively sparingly. I tend to stir fry it in with the veggies. I will cut off a small piece - maybe 1.2 an inch long. Cut off the funny skin, chop as small as poss and like I say it,fry it in with the veg so the flavour is gently released. It is firey so a small amount is needed. It is fantastic for digestion.

    Amaranth is a funny grain. It turns out quite like semolina. I liked it as it reminds me of ugali that they eat in Kenya but is definitely not a grain to be eaten plain - nice with a curry sauce or sweet and sour sauce -any sauce to be honest - but then I tend to find that is the case with most grains - they take on the flavour your cooking with. Was it stickyish when you had cooked it - perhaps your hadn't cooked it enough. Great grain - complete food source like quinoa.

    Kaz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, looks like you made some delicious dishes! I love the taste of fresh ginger... I find it so different from dried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have vitamix envy as well. If you find a deal on one, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. look at that cutie pie!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one of the few grains I haven't tried...maybe I'll keep it that way.

    Not sure how far you are from Plymouth meeting but the new whole foods just opened. Suppose to be huge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not like ginger. yuck

    I just tried steel cut oats. I am not an oatmeal fan but I am trying to become one. I have to say a lot of work and I am still trying to like oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you sure the reciepe called for that much fresh ginger? I love ginger but it is best when in small quanities. I love your curry reciepe...I am going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete