2.26.2010

Another snow day?

All week I have been super motivated to cook things from what I have, and even to run!
This morning we were hit with more snow. The alarm was set for 5am to go swimming but I took a look outside and decided not to risk it (glad I did - the Y didn't open till 7!) I would've been so upset! So - I ran today and had a great run! My runs are day to day for sure and I feel like I get slower and slower each week - already. Usually I'm right around 10min/miles for this week. Today I was able to run the full hour under 10 min pace, woohoo! It's the small things!

So last night's dinner was inspired by Rachel Ray's show yesterday. I really am not a big fan of hers, and usually her food doesn't impress me all that much, but yesterday gave me some ideas. She was making Macaroni and Cheese, and anytime I see that when I'm pregnant, I want it. I remembered what she did on the show and just made up my own amounts.



I always forget to take the picture right when it comes out! Doh!

Broccoli Mac & Cheese

2 c multigrain pasta
1 bunch broccoli
2 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1 1/2 c cheese
1/2 c cottage cheese
3 T. whole wheat flour
1 c milk
1 c veggie broth
1 garlic clove


First- boil water and cook until almost tender (it will get baked so don't cook all the way)
2 cups multigrain/whole wheat pasta

Meanwhile, steam one bunch broccoli until almost tender - about 6-7 minutes. Save some of the cooking water and puree it in a blender.

In a large lipped pan, saute

1 clove garlic in 2 T. butter + 1 T. olive oil. Add in 1 cup milk, 1 cup veggie broth, and as much of the broccoli puree as you can handle. Stir. Add 3 T. whole wheat flour + 1 T. flax and stir constantly. Last, add 1 cup of cheddar cheese, and 1/2 cup cottage cheese into the sauce. Continue to stir until cheese melts. Add in the pasta and stir. It is delicious served right out of the pan, but you can add 1/2 cup more cheese and bake it for about 10 minutes so that the cheese melts and browns. For the last minute, place the dish under the broiler until top is browned! Yum! Nick had it without the last part of cheese. He loved it!




And last - 4 of my readers became Examiners! That's awesome- thank you! So I wanted to put the word out again - if you are into writing and want to make some extra cash doing so, check out examiner.com! My code is 11772.

10 comments:

  1. I make homemade mac and cheese all the time! And I always add lots of veggies and garlic, too!
    Good job on the running - you're kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the running! That looks wonderful, thanks for sharing :-) I do not know if you mind messes, but another thing I did with the kids at that age is play in pudding. We would make pudding and practice drawing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited that my gym was open even with the school delay!

    Same here - I can't get my pace to be solidly under 10 :( Once a week I can get there for the duration of the run. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mac n cheese! mmm so tasty!! i'm still considering being an examiner.. i cant decide though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm starving right now and that mac and cheese sounds great. can you bring me some?

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice work getting a run in with all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your running is going well right now! Keep it up woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really, what's up with all this snow?!? boo.

    mac n cheese looks good though, even if it is mostly eaten :) (must've tasted even better!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been obsessed with mac and cheese too! Down Home with the Neelys has a great recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh,when I was pregnant I at a TON of mac and cheese. That looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete