2.23.2010

Eats, treats, the sippy cup war

One day I started taking pictures of everything that I was eating but never posted it. Here are some eats!



Quinoa w/ squash (nice to have pureed stuff around!),
agave, cinnamon and pb on top!


1/2 a balance bar (1/4 is pictured)
These are now out of my house for good!
TOo many ingredients and too processed.

Pear, yum!

whole foods duplex cookie & thin mint!


Dr Praegers! with 1/2 a slice of cheese and ketchup


Homemade snack bar -
wheat germ, agave, coconut, chocolate chip, maple syrup
flax


peppers, zucchini, avocado, chick peas, tofu and hummus/nutritional yeast
YUM - this was so tasty and I added in croutons with Ezekial bread :)

Now I basically only took pictures until mid afternoon and then forgot -
so any dessert that I ate isn't on here, as well as evening snacks and dinner.

Cooking for Nick is so enjoyable and fun these days -
he eats mostly whatever we are eating so I'll make extra effort to make things with veggies for us.
Whenever I am trying to make something in the kitchen he comes over and wants whatever it is.
I feel like he could eat ALL day long. I just have him eating 3 meals a day with the milk a few hours later before naps. Maybe I should put some snacks in there too but first I want to get the milk drinking down!

Nick really liked this kale gratin below!


Barley Kale Gratin (adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone)
2/3 cup barley
1 large bunch kale
2 T. butter
3 T. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c vegetable stock
1/4 to 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

Boil 1 quart water and cook the kale (pick leaves off of stems for cooking) for 8-10 minutes till tender. Drain the kale and puree with 1/4 c of the cooking water till smooth. Add the barley to 1 qt boiling water and simmer uncovered until tender, around 30 minutes.
The sauce w/ the kale


Added in the barley!

Preheat oven to 375, melt the butter in a small saucepan, whisk in the flour, then add veggie broth. Cook until thick - stir constantly. Combine all seasonings and transfer to a buttered baking dish.

Bake until browned on top, 30 minutes.

Ok - this picture does NOT do it any justice at all - it was REALLY tasty!
Kale is a super veggie!




Sippy Cup - we are transitioning from Bottle to sippy cup and today is day 3 no bottles. The first 2 days were kind of tough, Nick drank only about 8 ounces, maybe 10. Today he was up to 15 - we are getting there. Still, though, he's drinking them before naps and before bed (from the sippy cup). Once we get the sippy down, I think we can move to just drinking it throughout the day? How do you do it with the milk in the cup?

It's the last week of the month, and my grocery spending this month has been $351. I was hoping for 250-300, but I did reduce it. I will not shop the rest of the week! I'm going to keep trying this for next month and try to keep it at 250-300! I did well but had to spend a certain amount at Trader Joe's to get money back this month for a special offer.

11 comments:

  1. You eat so healthy! I wish i could do that- but im too picky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean how do you do milk? Brooke has it 2X a day, breakfast and dinner - 8oz each time. I dont think they are supposed to have sippys of it that they "sip" on throughout the day, so it depends on how Nick drinks it (brooke chugs hers). I think with milk eventually you just give it with meals and give water during the day for hydration ... thats what most people I know do at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately my kids never had a problem going from the bottle to the sippy cup. I gave them milk in their sippy with breakfast & dinner.

    Yep - I'm running the OD 10 miler. Thanks for the reminder - I have to register!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing that Nick is so easy to please with food and that he likes his veggies... I know too many families where the kids were not exposed to enough at this age and now they are PICKY PICKY PICKY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, where are you grocery shopping that you are only spending 250-300? If I could get away with that for a month we would be golden. Last month I spent 378 and was about 3 weeks ago and we're running low on stuff. I've made additional trips since then and have at least added another 50-75 to the total.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that nick is such a healthy eater right from the start. more parents need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick is the best little eater!

    Sippy cups and milk. My littlest seems to have trouble with dairy so he get very little (nearly none!)in the way of milk but handles yougart and ice cream in small amounts. He usually has water (kids need to like drinking it!!) or some juice in his cup. I allowed him to play with the cups before introducing them as a means to drink from. He picked it up quickly. In the beginning he did perfer the straw type sippy and not the spout ones. Good Luck!

    Great job watching that spending. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right! I love kale! That is exciting news about no more bottles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know, but I think you're supposed to move milk so that it's a part of meal time and then water throughout the day for hydration. But really, I know nothing yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soory, my stomach just can't handle pictures of food right now so I skipped to the sippy cups. We give Zach sippy's with the big handles for water and sippies that looke more like regular cups for milk. It's been working so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've wanted to try those veggie burgers for quite some time. They sound really good!
    Though it doesn't look nice, the gratin sound delicious!

    Good luck with sippy cup training!!

    ReplyDelete