2.01.2010

February's challenge

With Nick's diet, I find that it is easy to follow the recommendations in super baby food as far as how many servings of each food group he should be getting each day. Now with my own, I don't do as good of a job. When I got pregnant with Nick I went to see a nutritionist and she gave me a list of how many servings I should be eating of each food group. Over the past few days I just feel like I haven't been planning out my eating so it has been all over the place. MY challenge for this month is to follow the serving sizes - the biggest challenge is going to be the veggies because I haven't been into them. This is between 1800 and 2700 calories. The only thing that I don't like about is that I don't know where some things fall in - like protein powder, protein bars, etc - but maybe I should stick to the natural, whole foods.

The goal is each day:
3-6 veggies (1/2 c cooked, 1 c raw)
3-5 fruit (3/4c blueberries, 1/2 banana, 1 kiwi..)
12-15 starch (3/4c cereal, 1/2 bagel, 1/2 pita, 1 slice bread, 1/2 c oats, 1/2 c potato, 1/2 c beans)
5-7 protein (1/2 c tofu, 1/2 c beans, 1/4 c TVP, 2 egg white, 1 oz cheese, 2 T PB, 1/4 c hummus)
2-3 milk (1 c milk, 3/4 c yogurt)
5 fat (1/8 avocado, 1 tsp oil, 1 tsp butter, 1 T cream cheese, 1 T pb)

Today I had vs (Goal):
Veggie: (3 to 6): 2
Fruit: (3 to 5): 1.5
Starch: (12-15): 7
Protein:(5 to 7): 6.5
Milk: (2-3): 2
Fat: (5): 2

I didn't know where to put a cookie so I put it in starch/carbs. I bought V8 fusion on my February shopping trip today, so that will help with my fruit and veggies but oh man - I am low on them right now! Here's how the day ended out:

1959 calories
62.3 g fat (28%)
262.7 carbs (big and I didn't even eat the recommended starch amount??) (52%)
105.6 g protein (20%)

Need more fruits and veggies.


My knee seems ok- ankle too - I have not run outside now in a good 2 weeks and I'm dying!
I used amaranth to make Nick this lentil/apple/pecan loaf and it tastes really good - like an apple pie to me. The taste of the amaranth blends in! :)


The nutritional yeast - I'm totally new to it - but it seems like it would be a good base for a sauce/dip and is fine to sprinkle on popcorn. Besides popcorn though, I'm not sure that I would eat it by itself on anything else.

7 comments:

  1. you are going to make nick the best eater!!! :) way to go natalie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like putting Nutritional Yeast into scrambled eggs, you can use soy sauce when you are mixing it all together for some saltiness. Then saute some veggies to make a scramble. I am a non cook and this is something quick and easy that even I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that seems like a really good recommendation of each food group! i'm struggling to find where to add more foods. i eat plenty fruit/veggies so i'm trying to add back some grains. this food stuff is so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That loaf looks great. Although I do feel like a bad Mother when I read your blog.

    I eat loads of fruit of veggies, but when I was pregnant I went completely off them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give you credit for paying so much attention to what you are eating. This is something I could definitely benefit from.

    Good luck getting those fruits & veggies in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little guy and the baby cooking are super lucky to have such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you, once again, for such fantastic information. looking forward to trying the nutritional yeast as well

    ReplyDelete