2.05.2010

Handicap & Birthday

I started tutoring the son of a woman that I swim with in the mornings. A few weeks ago (I never told anyone at swimming that I was pregnant) - she told me people at swimming were asking about me moving from the faster lane to not so fast lane. I thought it was kind of nosy but ended up telling her I was pregnant. I assumed she'd tell everyone so that I wouldn't have to but she didn't tell anyone! I'm still going first in the lane I moved into and beating all the people I used to beat so really no one should be asking questions, I think she was just being nosy. One day last week a girl in my lane asked me what the deal was - you can definitely see that I have some extra space in my belly now - she just said, what's the deal, are you pregnant? Now what if I was just gaining some weight? I'd never ask this! So - the secret was out. I went on Wednesday and no one asked me (the girl wasn't there) but today somehow we were mid set, and the guy who was going behind me says, "how are you feeling, are you doing ok?" and I was probably looked at him like "HUH?!" I was far in front of him so I didn't know why he was asking me. I said "I'm fine?" and so he said "Oh ok - I didn't know you were pregnant." Just because I'm pregnant doesn't mean I automatically can't lead the lane or swim fast - I was kind of peeved as I left the wall to do the second 175 in the set. Later on the guy wanted to go first for a couple of sets and he did fine, but I felt like it was because he found out I was pregnant and thought he should go in front of me. I don't see it as a handicap. I'm still hanging in there.

Nick's first birthday party is supposed to be tomorrow at 4 pm- and here is the forecast:
They are calling for 6-12 inches. Here's what I was doing all afternoon:


Pasta salad with some additions
(I added broccoli & zucchini & whole wheat bowties &omitted eggplant)


cupcakes pre-icing

cookies pre-bagging


the mess of a kitchen

the veggies getting ready to be roasted for the pasta salad

The homemade 3 tiered cake stand with cupcakes and Nick's cake up top
Nick's cake:
icing - peanut butter, cream cheese and agave nectar, scant milk
cake:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ww pastry flour
1/8 cup agave nectar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg whites
cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
Complements - wholesomebabyfood and gf gidget
This cake turned out ok, but too much whole wheat flour I think!






These banana muffins Christine posted on her blog turned out very yummy -
this would make a good cake I think.
(top right and lower muffin)

2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tbs agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
2 very large ripe bananas
1/2 cup ww flour
1/2 cup ground oats
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

I put icing(pb/cream cheese) on one for Nick's birthday breakfast tomorrow.
It's the one with the 1!



The kid favors
The birthday boy

The birthday cake - from the store !



We will have to see if the show will go on or be postponed until Sunday. We picked up the cake, bought a few balloons, and have to let the food people know (sandwiches) by 11am.. hoping that we can still have it. Either way, can't believe my little baby boy is turning 1. One year ago was the last day I taught a class! :(

Here is this Friday's HumNut Pizza:

containing black bean slider, tomato sauce,humnut sauce, avocado, spinach balls, and mozzarella cheese.

Challenge check- in:
Well ... I have not been adding up how much of what I have been eating but I have been making an effort to incorporate veggies - I made spinach balls yesterday and have been eating lots of tomato sauce. :)

18 comments:

  1. so I'm super new to swimming, and the pool at school is usually empty, so I've never chatted with anyone there. So it surprises me that they are all so nosy, haha! Happy Birthday to Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! His cake and party food is SOOoO cute!! Please take pictures when its all set up!!! Seriously you are so creative and it looks adorable!!! I cant wait to see how it turns out!!!

    I hope the weather holds out!

    Also, to answer your question about wordpress, no you dont need a domain to have a picture header. I can totally walk you through the set up if you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the cake and cupcakes! I love the cheerio "N" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those people are really nosy!! Yikes!!

    That food looks just amazing. I think I gained weight just looking at it.

    Absolutely, switching from Blogger to Wordpress is really easy. Basically, it leads you threw it and it will transfer all of your info to Wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. people are weird. if you were in my lane you'd kick my ass (obviously) and i would MAKE you lead. and then you'd lap me.

    happy birthday nick!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute decorations!! And I love the cake :-)

    BTW....Nick is looking so much more like a BIG boy now!! Sooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Nick!!! Looks like you have put a lot of work into his party! Hope it's a GO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and yes, you can totally still swim a really solid pace the whole time you are pregnant. Last time I think I slowed about 10 sec/100 off my non-pregnant pace, but that was still faster than many swimmers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your food always looks so good! congrats on being pregnant! Happy Birthday nick!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how long Nick's hair has gotten!

    Good luck with the festivities this weekend - I hope the snow doesn't put too much of a damper on it. I woke up to a foot already, with it still falling heavily. Got the first round of shoveling in before 8 AM! No running today, but hopefully some snow-shoeing and xc-skiing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, the food looks so good! Esp. the choc. chip cookies! Hope the weather holds out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The snow is crazy today. I hope people are able to make it to the party. Happy Birthday, Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What? those comments would have pissed me off. it's no one's f'in business. why do people thing it's ok to comment on someone else appearance, etc. sorry you swim with some idiots.

    are you having the party? it looks like it's finally stopping but there's a lot of snow out there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some people are nosey and some people genuinely care about other people...the bad thing is you can't always tell which kind you are dealing with so it's healthier for you to just be nice to all of them and hope they are the caring kind of person.

    Nicks party is going to be great! Everything looks so great! I will look forward to seeing all the pictures after...and the messy shot of him with his cake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not the best start to your day at swimming!
    I was quite lucky, nobody asked me directly during T1 so I wasn't put in an awkward position. I think people are mostly just concerned for preggers folk, but it can be a little frustrating. Running in Pregnancy isn't done that much over here so if I mention that I'm back to running to non club members they do seem a bit aghast, but then follow it up with, just take care of yourself, so in my case they are just being nice. Hope they were for you too. i may have to get into the pool if you can work out that well in the water.
    The Birthday looks like it will be fantastic! Hope everyone can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keep swimming in the fast lane! They are all just jealous they can't keep up with you; show them how it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the video of Nick!! Happy Birthday to him!! I am jealous you guys got so much snow...we were hoping for a Nor'easter to hit us. I was thinking abt using agave nectar in the muffins...I will have to try that next! And yes, my batch only made 3 muffins!! Definitely going to double in next time. And I love the frosting idea on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I am sooo sorry about all those peeps at the pool! Some people have no filter!
    All of that food looked tasty! Glad it all turned out so well! I can't believe Nick is 1! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete