1.21.2011

calling all cake recipes

It is now time to start experimenting with what cake recipe I'll use for Nick's train cake. Do you have a favorite recipe that is somewhat healthy that you'd recommend? I was thinking about using TJ's Vanilla Cake mix but forget that. The first ingredient is sugar and it's just wayyyy too sweet. I bookmarked this one from wholesome baby food and might adapt and try it as follows

Vanilla Cake adapted from a recipe for diabetic cooking -

1 cup ww flour
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup almond milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 T flax + 1/2 c warm water

I'll let you know how it turns out... in the meantime do you have a recipe to share?

5 comments:

  1. Hey N - I have a vanilla cake recipe that I created for our wedding after testing about 50 recipes. It's an amazing vanilla cake, but its ingredients are butter, sugar and white flour. I usually use 1/2 white 1/2 whole wheat flour and organic butter, but it won't have the agave and flax you're used to ;) Email me if you want it and I'll send it along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say Paula Deen's red velvet cake because it is pure heaven but I think you'd faint just reading how much butter and sugar was in that recipe.

    Your below post is interesting to me. I've got no advice as I'm not stay at home yet, but I'm freaking out a bit about becoming a stay at home mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Heavenly Homemakers recipes!! I've never had trouble with hers and they are VERY healthy. She has a Banana Cake and a Whole Wheat Chocolate one listed here: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/recipes-2/desserts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been very tempted to make her chocolate one the last few days...but I'm out of ww regular flour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a good somewhat healthy cake recipe. I always make diet coke cakes - one box of chocolate cake mix and a can of diet coke (or white cake and diet sprite). That's it. MIx and bake. :)

    ReplyDelete