6.05.2011

a flat tire and training week

I brought my bike to the shore to get in a ride and got a flat tire after 5 miles.  The roads at the shore have a bunch of potholes - it was no good. Then I started thinking, crap! What if I get a flat during the race?  I will have no idea what to do. I'm over the whole biking idea as well as triathlon. I like the idea of going to spin class because it's a nice way to change it up. I love swimming, and running is my go-to sport. However, everything you need to train for a bike ride - it's not for me right now.  I was thinking there were help people (like AAA) on the course to help you with a flat tire. None of those people?  That isn't cool.

Here is what my training week looked like. My legs and arms are tired today, but especially my legs! Rest day!  I have to get in some better runs since running is a part of the triathlon!

Monday: Run 5.7 miles and circuit training
Tuesday: Run 5 miles and pilates/abs
Wednesday: Swim 4000 yards
Thursday: Spin class 18.6 miles, lifting and run 1 mile
Friday: swim 3250 yards, bike 10.5 miles (spin) and run a mile
 Saturday: run about 4 miles, bike 5 miles
Sunday: off

After being on the bike yesterday and realizing that I'll never be as fast on the real bike than the spin bike, I think I'm going to try to switch to the sprint triathlon. I don't want to be miserable.


Nick is at a perfect age for the beach -
self entertains with his Thomas trains!
Kara - not so much, she just wants to walk (holding my hands) and explore
but it sure is fun dressing her for the beach!

12 comments:

  1. I have had the same thoughts on getting a flat tire during a race the couple of times I *briefly* entertained the idea of doing a duathlon. And much like an automobile, I really have no desire to learn how to change a flat on a bike. Dilemma to be sure, but I bet the Sprint tri would have "bike angels" to help, plus, it's a shorter distance. Sounds like a good plan to me!

    Your kids are so adorable. Love the shot of Nick lying in the sand - ahhh, to be young and just flop down in the sand without thinking about all the grit! Kara is just so stinking cute, I can't stand it! How fun to dress a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen people running and carrying their bike through the bike portions of triathlons after a flat tire. I think if you're a real badass biker, you have the little kit to fix it and can fix it yourself in like 3 minutes. My plan would be to just cry.

    Kara is so adorable! She's a beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids look so cute at the beach!

    The tire thing would scare me too. Do they teach these things at local bike stores? Maybe you could get yourself into a clinic for basic bike maintenance so you feel safer out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used to feel like that about the swim. then i learned how to swim better. you gotta find someone who knows how to ride to ride with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kiddies are getting so big! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her little swim suit!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word...could she be any cuter??!! Em is the same as Nick...good at self entertaining!

    I would be nervous about the tire too! I would have no clue!!

    Thanks so much for your encouragement! It feels great to know that I am not alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yea i was worried about getting a flat during the race, too. i went to a free bike clinic though and they taught us how to change it and i got to practice. i know i'd still cry if it happened during a race, but there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some races have a SAG wagon out on the bike course to help anyone with flats or mechanical issues (SAG=support and gear and is a car that just drives around). I could teach you how to change a flat, but I am not so great at it myself. I know how to do it, but never practice enough to do it fast and efficient. I make Scott do all my bike maintenance.

    And I love all of your pics from the beach. Your kids are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Kara is gorgeous all swimsuited up! Murray loves to stand too!

    Totally hear you on the puncture front but as I don't have many exercise options at the mo' looks like I'll have to suck it up and learn!!!!!

    Can I ask - do you do 400yds in an hour????? If so that is crazy fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little ones are too cute! Little Kara in her outfit is super precious!!

    :)
    BTW, I got an email saying that I won the GNC giftcard and to let you know that I got my codes... Just wanted to make sure it was legit and not some weird spam thing..? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. That picture of Kara with the headband is stunning. Seriously, it belongs in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete