6.08.2011

You would not believe me if I told you...

that the main ingredient in these is BEANS!!!





I was reading Miranda's blog and she posted that she tried these out.  I was a little apprehensive but the pictures just looked so good, I had to try them! I am headed to a department party for my teaching job and needed something to bring, so I figured I'd try these and see if they would do. They totally surprised me. I am bringing them to the party. You cannot tell that it is beans and not butter in there.  I mixed Katie's 2 recipes together deep dish chocolate pie and chocolate chip blondies and came up with this:

Mean Bean Blondies (adapted from Katie) or Cookie Pie

  • 1 can butter beans or great northern beans (didn't try chick peas)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1 T coconut oil
  • 1 heaping T natural peanut butter
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 c brown sugar
  • 2 T maple syrup 
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
I'll be honest. I did not measure the sugar. I added a little to taste and then some maple syrup. So taste test it. I thought the amount used in the original was too much for me.  I never use real sugar anymore, just maple syrup.  And the chocolate chips - I just threw in handfuls. I'm not one to measure.

Stick all of that in the food processor except the chocolate chips. It will be nice and smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips and bake. For the thick blondies, I used a loaf pan. For the pie (very thin) I used a circle cake pan. Good luck and enjoy! Bake at 350 for 30-35 min.


Definitely try it! You won't regret it. So much for calorie counting today.  My body wanted some of that.








10 comments:

  1. They look so good! I have a brownie recipe that uses black beans. Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What temp/how long do you bake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely try those! I made oatmeal cookies that use beans for the majority of the fat and you'd never have any idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally believe you and just wanted to say you are so brave with some of the things you try! lol I'm somewhat adventurous with food, but I like my crap food to be crap and the thought of making it with something healthy kind of turns my stomach! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I entered your recipe into the food diary that I use, and here is the information for these brownies (assuming 12 servings per batch):


    Calories 180
    Total Fat 7.5g
    Saturated Fat 4.5g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    Sodium 148mg
    Carbohydrate 27g
    Dietary Fiber 2.7g
    Sugars 19g
    Protein 2.9g
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 4%
    Iron 4%

    I was hoping they would have a higher fiber and protein content with less calories. I definitely want to make them, but I might sub some of the 1 cup of chocolate chips for cocoa powder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really intrigued by these. I was planning to make blondies this weekend for a party...maybe I'll make these to go next to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look wicked yum-o!!! May have to try this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a similar recipe, but make it with chickpeas. I'll have to try the buterbeans instead. The texture of your looks better. The chickpeas leave it a little gritty tasting...not sure how else to describe it.

    Oh my, I have a serious craving for cookie cake now.

    ReplyDelete