6.28.2011

What the heck do you give your kid for dinner??

I'm kind of frustrated with feeding a toddler and baby. Nick used to eat everything and I know they go through phases. Some days he'll eat broccoli straight up (lately) and other days he won't even eat chicken nuggets. I feel like I give him the same things weekly and I'm bored - and so is he! And don't even get me started with Kara. She's tiny to begin with and the only definite with her is a scoop of peanut butter on a spoon.  I probably should have never introduced these kids to peanut butter - they are going to have the same problem that I do - addiction.

I wanted to pick out and try new recipes so here goes:

My friend Dr. Megan sent me a bunch of veggie recipes from Rachel Ray magazine a couple of months ago. They looked awesome and I finally made one of them this week.

I give you: Baked Eggplant Steaks. 


The only substitutions that I made were that I used 3 slices Ezekial bread instead of a loaf of Ciabatta and used regular mozzarella instead of smoked - didn't know where to find that but I think it would have been really good. Also, I just used frozen chopped spinach because I thought it might be easier. It turned out great! I'd recommend maybe skipping the Ezekial and eating these in a long roll. Delicious! Kara ate a little of the eggplant but Nick wasn't having it (I put it in a wrap).



Next up Mama Pea's Anytime Cookies. I renamed them Evacuation Cookies :)  Actually anytime I cook with quinoa flour it ends up being an evacuation food!  It will clear you out if you know what I mean.

Here's what I used:

  • 1/2 c. ground flaxseed
  • 1 c. warm water
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c quinoa flour
  • 1/2 c. oat flour
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 c. coconut oil
  • 1/4 c. almond milk
  • 2 T maple syrup
  • 1/4 c.  brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. dried cranberries
  • 1/4 c. raisins
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
In a bowl, combine water, flax, maple syrup and coconut oil. Warm in the microwave 30 seconds or until coconut oil is melted. Let this mixture sit and meanwhile combine all dry ingredients.  Add the flax mix to the dry and stir to combine. Drop by whatever size you like on a cookie sheet, bake at 350 for about 8-10 min or until set.  Enjoy!

Nick was into these. Not too too much sugar and make a good breakfast cookie!

Feeling good 2 days post triathlon. I'm into it !! Thanks sista!!   Now debating what's next...

10 comments:

  1. all i have to do is put it in a little sup and call it a "snack" and she'll eat it! it even worked with mixed veggies one day...though she tends to eat a lot of veggies. i have notice with my sister in law, she freaks out if her 16 month old (who is as big as my 2.5 year old) isn't eating as much as she thinks he should...makes me much more aware that i shouldn't stress about it, just offer healthy things (and treats, yeah, we have those often too) and let them decide how much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2.5 year old wont eat a single veggie - in any form. The baby (now 8 mos) eats anything I give him, but isnt a fan of eating. He just eats because he is supposed to ... I sense some battles in the future when he begins to try to assert some independence.

    I hear ya, but dont have any advice :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm - I think we're going to have the same thing. Murray has always been difficult to feed. I would look at my friend's babies chomping down trying desperately not to compare , but thinking why oh why won't you eat? Any hoo as time has gone by I'm much better at just saying OK, not hungry - but it helps now that when he does want to eat he'll eat well. I can imagine you must be frustrated though. My friend is really good with her toddler - doesn't want it fine, but if hungry later he gets offered lunch / dinner from earlier. I've no advice for things to cook - all your food looks great! Just expressing personality I think - it'll stand him in good stead in the playground! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My philosophy is that it's your job to offer a variety of food (like Claire said, a range of "healthy" stuff and treats) and it's Baker's job to self regulate. You just can't make a toddler eat, IMHO. I always think it is interesting to see that some days he prefers apples and grapes and broccoli and the next day he will turn his nose up at all three and just eat cheese and crackers and a popcicle. In the end, he gets a nice variety if you look at his nutrition over a week or two rather than at just one given day. I refuse to have food battles. He will eat when he's hungry and all I can do is make sure we have lots of choices in the house.

    You know I say all of this as an eating disorder counselor...I just see too many times parents trying to force perfect/healthy eating and messages can just get skewed in little ones' minds. Just try to keep it as lowkey as possible. It's just food, you know? Your kids are perfect. <3

    (The CHapples - Allison - I can't seem to publish the comment with my Google profile for some reason??)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's a phase so just take one day at a time. His tastes will change daily! I got a good chuckle out of the PB because Ethan is getting a jar out at least once a day. He can open it and get his own spoon. I'll find opened PB jars with a spoon stuck in it all over the house lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not alone! Sam, at 20 months, seems to hardly eat anything that I would consider a real "meal." She is a snacker, and her dinners often end up being some sort of fruit/cheese or yogurt/crackers. I wish she would eat more adult-like meals, but what can you do? I offer, and if she doesn't want it, I always make sure there is something she will eat on her plate. She loves fruit, so we eat a lot of that. She will hardly eat anything that is a vegetable, although sometimes we can get her to eat sweet potato fries. Hopefully she will come around! I think it must be the age :-) I hope so anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your tri, and now I'm afraid of quinoa flour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha evacuation cookies! You are funny ;). Great ideas for dinners too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cookies look great. I will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha! evacuation cookies!?! that is halarious! i haven't noticed that with regular quinoa but i haven't tried the flour yet.

    ReplyDelete