9.20.2009

Did I really run a marathon 5 months ago?

Philly Distance Run '09: Report

The title was what was running through my head as I was running this morning: Did I really run a marathon 5 months ago? How did I DO that? It was a beautiful day for a run. Perfect.

Arrived downtown at 7am. There were basically NO lines for the port-a-potties, it was amazing! I'm used to standing in line for most of the wait until the race starts. After that short wait, I didn't know what to do with myself so I walked up to see if I could see Ryan Hall - no luck, it was too early. I did a little warm up jog, stretched and went in my corral. Unfortunately I made the choice to wear my Boston jacket ( I never wear it) and it made people want to start a conversation with me (mostly older men). I'm not wearing that again. I was a little nervous but not too bad - I was putting pressure on myself that I wanted to run sub 2 hours and definitely didn't want to run slower than my 4 months pregnant race last year (1:58).

The first 3 miles I was running 8:10 pace. I knew that wasn't happening for the rest of the race. I gradually started slowing down. I tried to remind myself to take it all in, what a beautiful day, pretty city, etc, but I was concerned with my pace and time. That was stinky - at that point I wanted to be pregnant and not be worried about these things. I have so much more fun when I don't think about time.

My jacket was wrapped around my waist by the first mile mark, and I really wanted to find someone I knew to give it to so I spent the first several miles looking at the fans for someone that I might know! It was a nice distraction. Miles 4-5-6 I was thinking about how I've run the Kelly Drive so many times, it's cake! I can do this. I was slowing but feeling ok. I was thinking how I wished I trained harder for the race. GU was at mile 8, and I was looking forward to this - as I ate some, I realized it had been a long time since I last had GU and my stomach later didn't react all that well. At each mile, I was basically counting down how many miles till I was done and trying to refocus to enjoy it - while keeping my slowing pace going. I was thinking it'd be fun to see Nick at the finish for a little bit - but then I was just dragging along. I slowed to around a 9 min mile pace and was kind of bummed that I wouldn't be smashing my time from 2 years ago (1:55). The last few miles I tried to enjoy the great weather and do my best! I definitely wasn't in my top running form, and actually the back of my neck and top of my back were kind of sore/stiff. I have to work on that.


Nick eating my medal
I look oversweaty - SPENT!

My pace continued to slow and in the end, I averaged 8:41 minute miles. I don't know why I was expecting more since I have been training at this pace and slower, but my secret goal was under 1:50. In any case, it was a PR for me at 1:53:39, mostly because after I started training hard last spring (2008) I didn't do any half marathons. When I reached the finish, it felt like I had ran an ultramarathon. It was not a good feeling, and I was not too pleased with my time or condition! I felt like an out of shape old man that had just run a block or two and was out of breathe and overly sweaty.


I quickly found my family, we took a few pictures and headed out! I didn't get to see what PF Changs was offering up (did anyone?) but my mom made out with 2 loaves of bread and I have some bars and carnation drinks and ate my ritual perfect banana (bananas at races are always perfect, I love them). We headed out to eat and I had a mushroom egg white omelette and Nick sat in a high chair for the first time. I took a quick ice bath because my I bet my out of shape body is going to be sore tomorrow. The Runner's High that I usually get after a race - isn't as high as normal. Weird feeling. Maybe because my training has been half - a**ed?

As far as how the race was run - the shirts are BRIGHT ORANGE - not a big fan. The medals are the same as last year but with a bright orange band around them. I kind of look forward to the different medals every year so that was a bummer. This morning they had bagels, bananas water, & Cytomax (haven't tried this drink and probably won't) among other things I didn't see. I thought that was pretty cool. I was looking for band-aids so maybe I'd add a clearly marked medical tent? I couldn't find it. Along the course the bands were decent but I'm never quite impressed. Where are the bands for miles 5, 6, and 7? How about 9, 10? I feel like there were maybe 2 bands - one at mile 8 and one around 11? for the last 1/2 of the race.

What's next - Philly marathon. I'm hoping today will wake me up and I will get some running mojo back and train hard for November. Throw any motivation my way!! Is this normal post baby or is it me --> that I'm having trouble going back to being hardcore runner girl?
I'm going to plug in a semi hard training plan for the marathon and see if I can follow it. If anyone needs a long run partner, I think running partners and this great weather will be super helpful! Congrats to Denise for an awesome PR today!



Nick and my dad
you can tell how beautiful of a day it was





Nick was a trooper
He needs some running gear!


First time in a high chair. Cutie!


I came home to an email from Heather at Run Faster Mommy! to tell me that I won her 100th post contest! What a great treat! Heather is a mom of 2 really cute little guys and is training for the Baltimore Marathon and raising money for Team Fight. Check out her blog - you will be motivated for sure!


28 comments:

  1. Congrats on the run! Be proud on how you ran! I know how it is when yo don't hit your goal, but just remember that there are too many people out there who can't run at all. And no matter what...you're still setting an awesome example for Nick!!!

    Sometimes I wish I never would have even thought about setting my goal so high for hte marathon because now i feel if I back out of it I'm letting myself down, but just have to keep reminding myself that there are many other reasons I run!

    About the yogurt...here is what I used: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

    Congrats again on the run and I wish we lived closer because we have about the same pace and a long run partner would be the bomb....I have ZERO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT JOB! Even though you didnt hit your goal, you still finished even when it was tough! I'm super proud of you!! I hope your mojo comes back soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A PR is a PR... be proud! :)

    Nick really is such a cutie. It cracks me up to see babies dressed in sweatshirts and jeans... how cute is that? It just never gets cold enough here for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. " I have so much more fun when I don't think about time."

    Oh I can TOTALLY relate to that statement!

    Even if you didnt' feel 100% , you still had a great race, that time is awesome! I love my race medals, so a repeat would have ticked me off too, lol. Thanks for the race report, this is one of my "to do " races!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work!! Sounds like a fantastic showing - I'll bet you'll be feeling back to your old self by Philly - getting into a rhythm and having that to train for and whatnot. I'm looking forward to our long run this weekend, if you're still in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be proud of your PR, even if the your time wasn't exactly what you were expecting you still did great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, thank you SOOO much. That was so nice of you. You are such an inspiration to me...and I'm sure to all those women who have just had babies. You did great!! Congrats.

    As for long running partners...let's start getting them on the books. We have some asphalt to kick!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be proud of your race; you can tell Nick is!!!

    p.s. I'm so jealous of the orange race shirt!!! I heart orange and don't have ANY running gear in orange. Maybe hartford will have orange since it ING

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be proud of your race; you can tell Nick is!!!

    p.s. I'm so jealous of the orange race shirt!!! I heart orange and don't have ANY running gear in orange. Maybe hartford will have orange since it ING

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be proud you did great!!! That is a great time! I hope I can get a sub 2 hour race next weekend!

    Nick is such a cutie pie! I wouldn't worry too much about your mojo...I lost mine bad about 5 months after I ran Boston. I scaled back a little and then before I knew it I was itching to get back! You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think a PR is awesome! i had planned to PR there too, remember? so i certainly lost my mojo...or maybe i'm just still letting myself take it too easy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Nothing like a PR when you aren't expecting it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Someone once told me that a PR isn't supposed to feel good.

    Of course, I wanted to punch that person in the face when I heard it, but I always remembered it.

    Awesome job on the PR! That's great! Especially with "half-assed" training. You are going to do great in November.

    I wish I could have been out there with you guys today. Were you really only 4 months along at last years race? That just seems like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. congrats on the pr!! especially with 'half-a$$ed' training no less. very impressive!

    i was kind of disappointed with my rnr experience too... if you're gonna call it "rock and roll" i'd suggesting having lots of good bands at least!

    cute pics of little nick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did awesome! Don't beat yourself up too much! You got a PR! And all those pics of Nick and your fam are just adorable! I think the Philly Marathon training is just what you need to help you feel better. You are doing awesome! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you had a beautiful race day. I definitely miss running through autumn. And I echo what others have said: enjoy the PR! And how fun to realize you've had quite the spectrum of running this past year - through pregnancy, a marathon shortly after, and now training for another marathon. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you got a PR and aren;'t over the moon?!! I think it's pretty darn clear you are being way to critical of yourself. Look at the amazing things you have accomplished in the last year, shoot honey I have no baby and will be lucky to hit that time on my next race because my speed work has disappeared...but you know what if you love running and you feel great... WHO CARES!! The amazing thing is you are still getting faster and yet being tough...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the PR! Even though you didn't hit you "secret goal" you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes you did run a marathon 5 months ago. And it seems like you did a great job this weekend. Good race. The family looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You hit a PR...claim it proudly! There are plenty of time for secret goals.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way to PR! I to have felt a little blah about distance running. I bet as you start to increase the distance for the marathon things will start to come together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. congrats on the PR!!! you did great :) love all the pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It stinks when you don't hit your goal but at the same time at least you finished and had a great race! :) Congrats on finishing and I'm still in awe that you had Nick not that long ago and you are already out running and back into great shape!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the PR!! It WAS a perfect day :)

    PS - PF Changs had their lettuce wraps, edamame dumplings, then some chocolate dessert. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice race! congrats on the PR! I am getting excited for Philly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey!~ Great job at the race! You know, there are days when I really wish that I was a SAHM and think that I could be really relaxed and fulfilled by it...and then other days that I can't wait to drop my little guy off at day care. Working PT is the BEST options...a taste of both worlds. Hope that you can find a PT teaching gig!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Huge congrats on your PR (Or PB as we say in the UK). Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Huge congrats on your PR (Or PB as we say in the UK). Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete