9.17.2009

Hungry!

I find that reading all of these food blogs makes me super hungry!! But - I get lots of great ideas from them too!
Running
This week, not too much to report! I'm excited for Sunday's race. The weather looks like it is going to be great and I just want to get out there and have fun. I haven't worn my iPod all summer - the only headphones that I like are my hatphones, so I'm not sure what to do about music!
Swimming
I went back to the slower lane where people are friendly and there is less time between sets. What was happening was we'd make the intervals but when the set was over everyone would be BSing. There is nothing I can stand less than just sitting around BSing! And there is little of that in the lane I am swimming in now. Does anyone else do masters? Where are the young people? Why does it end up being 40 and 50 somethings? I always feel like a kid in these practices.

I started teaching swim lessons last week at the Y and the kids are cute - ages 3-5. Nick goes to the daycare at the Y while I'm teaching. Along with that, I'm doing some online grading for PRAXIS (teacher tests) and tutoring. So I feel like I'm working part-time (very little) which is nice. I'm finally settling into staying at home and feeling comfortable with my decision for right now. I'm very nervous as to when it comes time to decide what next.
Eating
My biggest problem time is dinner time. For some reason late afternoon I just pick and pick and pick. Nick's bedtime starts at 6:30 and takes an hour, so by the time we eat it is 8pm and I am usually full from picking but I eat anyway - then feel stuffed. It's all good food for the most part, but too much of it I guess. I am really going to try hard to count those calories again.

One thing I tried this week was GROATS (above). They were tasty - they take long so I started them and then went on the treadmill, they were done at the end. I like oats just as much - I felt like it was a smaller portion for the same # of calories.

Also, I made Nick yogurt! Whole milk yogurt from whole milk. The first time was a bust but this week it worked out. I don't have to spend crazy money on YoBaby! (+ that has added sugar).

Enjoy your end of the week and weekend! I have some Nuun to review - look for that soon!

17 comments:

  1. Ugg, I'm a total picker too! I was eating peanutbutter from the jar last night while cutting veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picking is a hard habit to break - I feel ya on that one! But I know you can work on it! Make it a new challenge! Maybe try just veggie sticks instead? Just a suggestion.
    And so excited you have found some teaching to do and some grading - it looks like the balance you have been craving is finally coming around! Have a good Thursday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck at the race!!

    And how'd you make the yogurt? I use the crockpot but am always curious about others' methods!! I am still trying to perfect a low-fat option becuase I hate paying for yogurt and I eat a lot of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck @ your race this weekend!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did Nick do with nut butter? I feel the same about counting calories! I just feel like I'm eating all the time!

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm the same way around dinner time, i know i can't make it til 8 when we usually end up eating so i snack too much until then and then feel stuffed after dinner. except i'm probably not eating good stuff like you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I pick a lot too. I have been bad this week. I have been picking while I make my dinner. Then I eat a huge meal. Guess I'm making up for having no appetite for a few months.

    Good luck on Sunday. The weather is going to be BEAUTIFUL!I am so bummed I will not be running it this year. I had so much fun last year. I love this race!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck this weekend!! Hopefully the nice weather will carry over into marathon weekend in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a big time picker too. I really have to limit what I keep in the house to avoid this. Good luck Sunday. Have lots of fun. I can't wait to read all about it.

    Glad ot hear things are feeling good with staying home. Looks like you have a few projects to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I love that you are teaching, I know how you adored your job and this sounds like a good compromise.

    agreed I pick a little too much in the evenings, so I'm trying to keep my mind and hands busy with other things

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did you cook your groats? I have some at home that I tried to ferment...not a great idea. Now I don't know what to do with the rest of them.

    Sunday is going to be perfect racing weather!! I'll be at letter "A" after the race if you're around...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made yogurt? My goodness, is there anything you don't do?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am terrible about just eating all kinds of crap once I get home from work in the evening. If you figure out how to stop, let me know!

    And now you are making yogurt? Seriously impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GROATS... haha, love the name!

    As soon as I read the title of this post, I thought "Me too!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. GROATS... haha, love the name!

    As soon as I read the title of this post, I thought "Me too!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. good luck with the half this weekend!

    ReplyDelete