9.29.2009

Nixing the supermarket


last night's dinner: quinoa w/ tahini, beans, spaghetti squash, broccoli

I'm trying to hold out on going to the supermarket as long as possible - I don't know why, except that I feel like we have plenty of food in the house. The thing is, we don't have a lot of necessities! We have tons of veggies, grains, pasta, beans, some tofu. Bill is not a vegetarian so last night I stopped at the butcher shop and got him chicken and made coconut chicken (mmm it looked good), today I am thinking of stopping at the fish market only for Bill's main thing. How long can this go on for? AM I even saving money - probably not. I think I just want to get creative and make sure I use anything that is perishable before going and buying more things at the supermarket!

Here is what I have - any ideas that will hold as main courses?

kale
white beans
barley
TVP (textured veggie protein)
quinoa
zucchini
eggplant
tomatoes
asparagus
sweet potatoes
tofu
green beans
today's lunch: squash, red pepper, cucumber, tahini, whole wheat roll, beans, vegburger

WISH this week's 7 miler went as good as last weeks did. As soon as 7 miles hit, I slammed the OFF button. UGh!

8 comments:

  1. I sometimes play a little game where I try to use every last piece of produce up before going to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh me too, i have to use everything since I can't take it with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each week we buy only the produce we know we'll use that week. Come Friday, our fridge is EMPTY! But we always have beans, soups, etc on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you do some sort of stir fry with some of the veggies and wholegrain (s)? Then make another separate pan/bowl and do one with tofu and the other with meat? it's tough managing two menus, but you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zucchini pasta with tomato sause and tofu/eggplant? Sounds pretty yum to me. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when I have tons of food in the house, but nothing seems to go together for an actual meal. I'm actually facing a similar dilemma today, and even though the store is only 1 mile away, I really don't want to go (of course, I'd rather chew off my own arm than go to the grocery store, so I may be a bad example).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been trying to do this for weeks. If you have beans, you can make bean burgers, if you read the KERF site (kathy eats real food) she has great tofu ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Your quite the cook ma'am!!!

    ReplyDelete