9.04.2009

Life in the fast lane...

Has not been what I expected! On Wednesday, the lane that I swim in already had 4 swimmers when I arrived so I hopped into one of the fast lanes. I went last. Here's how it went: Usually, I swim in a lane where the intervals are not challenging, but there is hardly any rest between sets. I moved over and the intervals are still not killing me, but they are more the speed I'd like to be swimming. However, in between sets, way too much blabbering was going on, to the point where my body was not warm anymore when we started the next set! I'm there for a limited time and want to get in as much yardage as I possibly can, so I was really frustrated to see the lane I was in and lane next to it just blabbling away about people that I didn't know and conversation that I couldn't join into. No one talked to me at all, besides asking me if I wanted to go ahead of them. It was a real downer!! I got in 2600 yards in 50 minutes when I was hoping for 3000.

I thought today I'd give it another try, and I did. Same crap. Today while the bullshitting went on, I just turned around and swam 50s when we finished each set until they were ready to start again. I don't feel comfortable saying something, because I just started a month or 2 ago, and just joined the lane I'm in. I don't want to be that person. I don't know if it is better to keep swimming at faster intervals and just swim when they are talking (and be the most antisocial person ever - but I am there to swim not chat) or swim slower intervals with less rest. Today I covered the whole workout 3200 yards but mainly because I had an extra 10 minutes since Bill didn't have to be in early. What are your thoughts?





In Nick news, he had tofu for the first time yesterday. He seemed to like it. He'll be 7 months in 2 days - which makes me feel kind of sad/sick to my stomach that he is growing up so quickly!

I'm happy to say that I've done a nice job eating clean this week. There was a small bowl of ice cream here and there, but it was small, and it was GOOD! I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some results in the weeks to come if I can keep it up! Yesterday I went the whole day without eating a Werthers hard candy (huge for me, I usually eat at least 3 a day, but probably up to about 8 of them). We'll try again today!

19 comments:

  1. NIck is getting so big! He is just too cute. I would have loved it if I could swim 2600 yards in 50 minutes, I am a slow poke.

    Good luck with masters. Give it a little more time. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would totally frustrate me in the pool, too! You have limited time and want to get the most laps in as psosible! I hope this isn't an ongoing problem. :(

    That is a great photo of Nick! What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet picture!!!

    After hearing you talk about 'eating clean' so much I'm going to look into it.....and maybe trying to follow it some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick is so cute! How did you make the tofu for him? Great job on eating clean. I have done ok lately but I think going back to work will actually be good. Less time to pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can barely breathe when I swim.... how on earth are these people chatting???

    I understand where you're coming from... my running group tends to be.... a little slower than I like, and it sometimes drives me crazy. But, I remind myself that I joined them to have extra motivation to get out there and that there IS supposed to be a small social aspect to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. no advice on swimming, but SERIOUSLY, nick is cute. what a happy little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to hear he liked the tofu- what a great, healthy way to start off his life! Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can barely swim, so no help there.

    Nick is adorable! My son has the same bib :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would probably do the same thing... try to squeeze in as much extra as i could in the time i had! some days i like the social part of group-workouts, but let's not go crazy and skip the workout part 'cause we were chatting so much. i can definitely understand the frustration... hope you can continue to get in your workouts and that maybe another lane will open up that works better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I don't swim, I don't really know what to do to help you out... but HOLY COW! Nick is getting SO big so fast! :) He is simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh time is just flying!! he is SO freaking adorable!!!!! my friend's baby who i would talk to you about last year is turning one next weekend and i cannot believe it! FLEW by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went to one swim master's swim class, and I was TOTALLY That Girl. I knew it wasn't going to be a regular thing for me, so I didn't feel bad, but yeah, it was awkward in the showers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That would really frustrate me, too. I'm all about getting in as much as I can so I would probably keep going and pass on the blabbering...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess schmoozing and blabbering is kind of a trend this week... sorry for the stops this morning, but it was great to run with you guys, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really know swimming protocol, so I'm no help, sorry.

    Nic is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you need a faster lane than what you are in. Don't they have to go off on the interval? If they have enough time to talk so much clearly the intervals aren't fast enough. Maybe you could ask them to move up the intervals as a way of getting around asking them to shut up?

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cute is that little guy?? Glad that he is beginning to enjoy heaps of healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nick is tooo freakin cute! Gosh its getting so big! :) Hope you had a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete